Monday, July 22, 2013

Blog #22 Letter to my Fifteen Year Old Self


Today is my 43rd birthday.  I had to give some extra thought to what I might write today.  I finally settled on this letter to myself when I was a young writer. Please feel free to pass it along to any young writers you may know too~
Dear me, 
I know there are lots of kids out there, just like you, who want to write something, but lack the confidence or the support to do it. I’m here to tell you, do it anyway.

Maybe you think it’s stupid or silly or you wouldn’t show it to anyone in a million years. That’s ok. Keep every single scrap of paper you ever wrote a story on anyway. You might use it later. You don’t have to show anyone until you’re ready.  Just remember, there’s no one like you in the whole world and you have something important to say. Everyone does.  Don’t listen to the naysayers that tell you otherwise. Ever.

And it may not be very good at first, but you’re learning. Like anything, it takes practice. Keep at it. Read everything you can and then write some more. Find your voice, your “you-ness”, and put it on the page.  When it is true and honest, it will shine and you will know you’ve done your best.
 
 

3 comments:

  1. I love this post. My birthday is next Monday and I have been struggling with what I wanted to blog about on that day. Love the letter. Wish someone would have written that to me way back when. Happy Birthday Beautiful. May the upcoming days bring you more happiness and joy that your heart and hands can hold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I love this post too! Heck, I'm sending it to my 34 year old self. :) I do have all my old scraps of paper, but I haven't gone through them in a long time. Who knows what kind of blogging brilliance (or perhaps something more novel) that could lead to. This post is an excellent unbirthday present to the rest of us. Thanks for leading from the front! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two are so sweet :) Thank you so much for the well wishes.

    ReplyDelete