Friday, October 4, 2013

October 4 ~ Revision Rules



Oh man, revising a novel length manuscript is a pain! I'm in the middle of one right now, the last book of the Storyteller series.  I'd much rather pick out the cover than wade through dull prose and fix it.  And it sure feels like there's a lot of dull prose here.  I wrote this one so fast, I wasn't too choosy about how I crafted it.


A few years ago, I learned about something called "word echos" and how bad I was at it, or good if you want to look at it that way. I have an uncanny ability to repeat the same word, multiple times on a single page.  Such as "Lily looked at the door. She walked to the door and turned the doorknob." That's an extreme example, but you get the picture, right?


I've even been known to over repeat words through entire manuscripts. Apparently I love the word "just". It's just so poetic.  I am also quite fond of "look" and "looked", "feel" and "felt". Ack!


Needless to say, I love my thesaurus too.  What are your favorite words?

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad I happened upon your blog, I am sure I will learn a lot by reading it regularly. I write because I like to, it's a stress reliever. I don't think I have any favorite words, but I will pay attention from now on to find out.
    I got to your page via the 31dbc.

    ReplyDelete