Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Mayonnaise Biscuits in a book called HUSH PUPPY By Lisa Cresswell

I love to eat hush puppies, but I’m not so great at cooking them. I might be a bit biased, but I'm pretty sure the best place to get hush puppies is on the Carolina Coast.
 
There’s a lot of great food in my book HUSH PUPPY because its set in North Carolina and you can’t go to North Carolina without eating something delicious. I set the story in a place near and dear to my heart – High Rock Lake in the Piedmont.  I spent summer vacations at my grandparents’ house there and ate a lot of wonderful southern food, but one of the things I loved the most was the mayonnaise biscuits, so much so that I put them in HUSH PUPPY.

Here’s the excerpt:

“Thanks. I’m starving.” Jamie joined everyone else passing around the food, piling it on their plates. He stuffed his mouth, eating so fast it made me wonder if he was telling the truth about starving.
            “What did Harley say?” I asked between bites of black eyed peas.
            “Didn’t tell him. He thinks I’m jogging.”
            “No wonder you’re sweating like a pig.”
            “Yeah, sorry about that.”
            “Isn’t he going to wonder where you are?”
            Jamie crunched down on an ear of corn. Butter dribbled down his chin while he chewed. I handed him a paper napkin.
            “He’ll get drunk and pass out before he notices I’m gone,” he said, wiping his mouth. Jamie plowed through several helpings of food, but his favorite was the mayonnaise biscuits. I lost count of how many he ate.
***
 
You can read more at www.lisatcresswell.com
 
If you want to try the biscuits for yourself, here’s the recipe. Super simple and oh, so good.

1 cup flour 
1/2 cup milk
1/4 mayo
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
 
Mix all ingredients until smooth. Drop large spoonfuls on a cookie sheet to make about six biscuits. Cook at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.  The recipe can be doubled to make more biscuits and you can add cheese or herbs if you'd like. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment