Monday, July 15, 2013

Blog #15 Thirteen Stories 'til Halloween or Why Flash Fiction is Fun

Not too long ago, I came across a link on twitter. I followed it down the rabbit hole to this website called Thirteen Stories 'til Halloween .  The web site had an open call for writers willing to write a spooky story to be posted just before Halloween.  Now Halloween is probably my favorite holiday, so I was all over that. I mean, my first book, Storyteller, takes place just before Halloween. :)



If you don't know, flash fiction is a tinnie, tiny story...like less than 750 words, which is maybe 3 pages. You'd be surprised how hard it can be to write a fully formed story in so few words.  It's quite the challenge.  Here's one I did last year for a contest called Troll Teeth.

Entries were due today.  Cross your fingers I get picked! Of course, I can write flash fiction any time I want to, but contests are always kind of a challenge to me.  They give me an incentive to meet the deadline and to make it especially good.  Maybe if I don't get sucked into this flash fiction event, I'll throw one of my own some time. Anybody interested??

No comments:

Post a Comment