Friday, May 7, 2010

Amish Friendship bread

I'm making Amish Friendship bread, which is funny because it's neither Amish nor bread.  I know it's not Amish because the recipe calls for a box of vanilla pudding mix.  I don't think it qualifies as bread either, because it's loaded with sugar and tastes more like a decadent coffee cake. 

It's made with a sour dough-like starter, which probably isn't safe because it ferments on the counter for 10 days.  How is that possible?  It doesn't kill you.  I'm living proof of that, because my friend gave it to me.  That's the friendship part.  You divide the starter into four portions and cook one for yourself.  You're supposed to give the other portions to your "friends" and hopefully, you don't poison them.  In gifting your friends, you sentence them to a 10 day wait, in which they must churn the starter each day and add a cup each of flour, sugar and milk on the sixth day.  Then, you have to be ready to cook it on the tenth day.  It's kind of a pain. 

Luckily, it freezes well.  At least I'm told it freezes well.  We'll see how this batch turns out.  It's been in my freezer since January when I got it.  I'll let you know how it turns out in FOUR MORE DAYS.  On that day, I'll have to add more flour, sugar and milk, and then decide which "friends" to inflict it on.

1 comment: